Jared's Farewell - July 16, 2023

 Jared spoke in Sacrament Meeting of the Olympus 5th Ward on July 16, 2023.


Good morning everyone, it is wonderful to see all of you here today. Thank you to all of you who have come to hear me speak, I appreciate it so much. 

For those of you who may not know, I have been called to serve in the Brazil Maceio mission. This mission covers two small states in northeast Brazil right on the coast. It’s a very hot and humid climate all year long, with its average hottest temperature being 90 degrees and its average lowest temperature being 63 degrees. It humidity averages in the high 80s percent, which is comparable to the southern US. The beaches there are beautiful and the water is super clear and blue. The cities are centered around these wonderful beaches and it has become a large tourist area because of them. My brother served in the Salvador South Mission, which is just 350 miles, or two missions away. My mom was very happy that I’ll be going to a place that she’s already had a missionary in, because if Sam could make it through alright, I’ll be just fine. I will be speaking Portuguese and begin my home MTC training on July 24th and go to the Brazil MTC the week after. 

Today I have been asked to speak on the purpose of my missionary service or “my why.” This is something that I have thought about a lot as I have prepared for my mission. There were many moments where I would think to myself about all the things that would change because of my mission and I would question whether I really wanted to go. Could I handle daily scripture study and always having a companion with me? How will I live without my mom? Am I gonna be behind when I get back? How will I learn a language so quickly?  But as I began my preparation and started to study the scriptures and pray more thoughtfully I came to realise why I am going. I am going because I am trying to be like Jesus Christ. I am serving a mission because I want others to feel the love and peace that I have felt and because I want to serve those in need just like Christ.

One of my favorite stories of the hope and peace that comes from the love of Christ is in John chapter 4. This story is about a woman at a well who Christ speaks to. Christ can sense that the woman has some problems and conflicts going on in her life, but He declares unto her that He is the Messiah. He is the one who will save and redeem her, no matter what her current circumstances or choices might have been. He says, “But whosoever drinketh of the water that I shall give him shall never thirst; but the water that I shall give him shall be in him a well of water springing up into everlasting life.” (John 4:13-14) This woman is a Samaritan and says to the Lord that “…the Jews have no dealings with the Samaritans,” but her faith is so powerful and compelling that when she goes back to her city, many believed based on her testimony and many more beyond that believed after Christ visited them and stay in their city for a few days. Through her experiences, the woman at the well becomes a powerful witness to the power of the Savior and is a strong example of how our lives can benefit from faith in Christ. In my service, there may be some people in a situation similar to this woman and I hope to serve them so they can feel peace and hope through Christ.

Another story that I love that demonstrates faith and the healing power of Christ is in Mark chapter 2. In this chapter Christ enters the town of Capernaum and  stays in a certain house. Upon hearing that Christ is among them, the people of Capernaum crowd into the house to the point where the entire building is full and no one else can enter. There are many believers among them, but also many who doubt that Jesus has the power told of in the stories. There were so many looking to be healed by Christ that it was impossible to even get near him, but a man paralyzed by  palsy was brought by his friends, who lowered him into the house through the roof so that he could be reached by the Lord. The Savior saw the faith displayed by these people and the lengths they would go to to be blessed that he healed the man of his palsy. Additionally, forgave the man his transgressions. He said, “but that ye may know that the Son of man hath power on earth to forgive sins… ‘I say unto thee, Arise, and take up thy bed, and go thy way into thine house.’” (Mark 2:10-11). He showed those who believed and those who did not who He really was, and how He was the Savior. 

One last story that I love comes from 3 Nephi Chapter 17. In this story, Christ has come to the Nephites following his resurrection. He shows them the scars from his resurrection and teaches them the principles of his gospel. He then heals those who are sick among the Nephites, saying, “Have ye any that are sick among you? Bring them hither. Have ye any that are lame, or blind, or halt or maimed, or leporous, or that are withered, or that are deaf, or that are afflicted in any manner? Bring them hither and I will heal them, for I have compassion upon you; my bowels are filled with mercy.” (3 Nephi 17:7) It is through their faith that Christ heals them. He shows them the love and compassion He has for them and they are blessed because of it.

Christ spent his mortal life doing what he could to serve those around them and show His and God’s love for them. I hope to do the same in my mission. 

It is my hope that I can teach of and show people this power that is evident in these stories. I hope that I can serve those people with the same love and compassion that Christ does, so I can help them to see the hope and peace that is possible through Christ.

In the four gospels of Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John we read of Christ's mortal ministry. There are stories of Christ healing lepers, raising the dead, helping the blind to see, comforting those in need of comfort, and so many amazing and grand miracles. While I don’t have the power to raise the dead or heal the sick, I wish to follow the example of Christ. I want to comfort those in need of comfort and help those in need. Like Christ, I don’t wish to force anyone to live the way I live, or to follow the commandments and teachings that I follow, but I wish to serve them and ease their burdens. I want to help them to feel the love and hope that I get from Christ and from the gospel.

We are taught from a young age to follow the example of Christ and to display Christ like attributes. In the children’s song “I’m Trying to Be like Jesus” the chorus goes “Love one another as Jesus loves you. Try to show kindness in all that you do. Be gentle and loving in deed and in thought. For these are the things Jesus taught.” I believe that even though this is a simple children’s song, the words ring true. We need to show love and kindness in our words and actions, and I am hoping to be able to serve and connect with the people of Brazil in these ways.

Lastly, I would like to take the time to thank all those who have supported me so much. To all my teammates, coaches, and teachers, thank you for helping me to learn so many lessons and for the support that you guys have shown to me. To all my friends, thank you guys so much for all the fun times and great memories, you guys are some of the closest relationships I have and all of you mean so much to me. To my Aunts, Uncles, grandparents, and cousins, thank you for the love and support that you show to me in all that I do, I love you all so much. To my sisters Rachel and Megan, thank you so much for putting up with me for 18 years now. You two are some of the most thoughtful, kind, understanding, and smart people I know. To my brother Sam, thank you so much for being the best example I could ask for. I have always looked up to you and wanted to be like you. To my Dad, I love you so much. You have taught me so many great lessons and have shown me how to be a great father and great husband. And to my Mom, you are the greatest mom I could ever ask for. I’m not sure how I’m going to live two years without you. You are the most loving and joyful person I know. I love you guys all so much.

I have a testimony of the Book of Mormon, that it is true, and that there are living prophets in the world today. And I testify that Jesus Christ is our Savior and redeemer, and that we can all find peace and hope in Him. I say these things in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

March 25, 2024 -- Estancia, Sergipe, Brazil

February 12, 2024 -- Sao Miguel dos Campos, Aracaju, Brazil

February 26, 2024 - Estancia, Sergipe, Brazil